Monday, September 22, 2008

He said, She Said.

You know what word really bothers me? Politics. That word puts my stomach in knots,spins my head in circles, and generally just confuses and nauseates me to a point where I can't even think about it anymore! Anyone else have this problem?

Sure, you could sit there and tell me that it's "Un-American" not to be involved in the political discussion or that I should be taking advantage of the fact that I live in what we Americans refer to as "the free world"(and believe me, I am!)...but more often than not, when I wake up to read the news and try and submerse myself in my
country, I often times am left with a whole lot more questions than answers....anyone else have this problem??

What i keep coming back to at the end of the day is this simple fact, there is NO WAY to truly believe what you see or read anymore. The media and its hold on the American psyche is so powerful that it can manipulate our minds as hard as it wants to, or as soft as a pile of play-doh!



When it comes down to it, the only truth out there in this media saturated world is that, there is TOO MUCH INFORMATION!!! And because of neat little inventions like TEH INTRAWEBS, globalization rocks on in the free world, one day at a time, in a MILLION different ways....and most people in this country, better still, in this world, have NO IDEA it's even happening at all!

I took a class my senior year of college with 7 other students (8 being the minimum to call it an actual "class"), called "Globalization". It was taught by Dr. Gita Rajan, still, one of the most incredible teachers I have ever had...and in this class I learned more about my country,myself,and my relationship to the world around me then I could have possibly imagined. Sounds crazy right? Four plus years of undergrad work and ONE CLASS made that big of an impact on me!? If you know anything about globalization, you know that it's complicated. There are lots of ins and outs and of course, lots of "what have yous"...but its roots and a basic understanding of how it works made me realize, that what is happening in our world in 2008 has been coming for a long, LONG time!

So maybe tonight, instead of watching the season premiere of Heroes, or Brett Favre in California, or spending a little too much time on Facebook, you can use your intrawebs portal to google, "globalization". I can't say you will learn that much from just "googling" it, but hey, it's a start, right?


No comments: